Patient With Low Immunity, Hormone Imbalance, Constipation, Unexplained Headaches and Weight Gain
Age: 42 yr old
From: United Kingdom
Date of Admission: 2nd September 2019
Date of Departure: 15th October 2019
History of Presenting Illness
Patient arrived at weight of 82kgs (ideal weight for height = 65kgs) complaining of inability to lose weight through controlled diet and exercise. Additionally, feeling bloated, heavy and tender breasts and constant pre-menstrual symptoms. Patient also complained of a low immune system with constant cold/flu and unexplained headaches for which she could not identify a cause or trigger.
The Patient had a history of Uterine Cancer and had been on high dose Progesterone for a period of 2 years. Have been free of medicine for over 6 years at time of arrival.
Consultation Findings & Diagnosis
- Tongue is coated. Signs of Ama present.
- Constipated often, triggered by consumption of gluten, coconut oil.
- Sleep is okay, but tired in the morning.
- Allergies/ intolerances – Coconut, wheat, almond, seafood, red wine, dust, animal fur.
- Physical strength and sleep are good in general.
Dosha Prakriti – Kapha Pitta
Dosha Vikrti – Aggravated Kapha and Vata
- High Kapha dosha in the whole body especially located in the upper body caused heaviness and phlegmatic problems.
- Low immunity is also because of elevated Kapha levels.
It was diagnosed that the patient has an accumulated severe hormone imbalance caused by the high dose progesterone taken over 6 years ago. Even though the patient is currently not taking progesterone or other hormone tablets, the effect of the medicines taken has created an imbalance which needs to be corrected. All symptoms described by the patient are due to this imbalance.
The patient was mentally balanced and aware of a potential physical imbalance. She had been practicing Yoga and Meditation for years and was not stressed or emotionally imbalanced. But she was frustrated with not knowing what is happening with her body.
Heavy cleansing was needed to remove all accumulated hormone imbalance and a re-programing of the body’s hormonal system. The treatment approach decided and implemented was:
- Repeated nasya treatment program to cleanse phlegm which is blocking the sinuses and causing headaches. Special oil was chosen for the patient followed by daily inhalation of a specially made herbal tea. This was coupled with a medicinal herbal tea to be taken morning and evening.
- For two weeks a special herbal porridge was given along with a special herbal tea to reduce Kapha. The porridge was to correct the digestive disorders the patient was suffering from. And this works effectively in elimination of Ama, not just from the digestive system but also from the whole body.
- Following this, an herbal leaf concoction (dalu thambuma) from Sri Lankan Traditional Medicine (SLTM) with special oil was given to the patient morning and evening for three days. This formula works on deep cleansing especially focusing on hormone balancing and cleansing all the female reproductive organs. It works effectively on cleansing small channels as well as regulating hormone production mechanisms.
- This was followed with three days of maha vireka (great purge) using herbal pastes made inhouse. Whilst purgation is done for one day, in consideration to the severe hormonal imbalance and the constitution of the patient, it was decided that she will be able to withstand a three day purge. So it was done 3 days in a row.
- Following the purge, the patient was given a special diet and abhyanga (massage) treatments and requested to follow the onsite mindfulness programs of Yoga and Meditation classes.
Condition at Departure
The patient was feeling light and happy in body and mind. Her body changed after the long purge and she said she felt like a fog had moved away from her mind. She lost 5kg and was more active and happier.
Elevated Kapha increases Tamas Guna and this slows down the mind. Cleansing of the upper body through nasya works in elimination of Kapha from the upper body. Also helps with stimulating brain activities and brings more harmony in both body and mind. so the person feels lighter in both.
She said her tenderness of body and breasts were gone and her headaches are gone. Deep cleansing formulas used in SLTM work in deep and small channels and help to break the hormone imbalance caused by the prolonged exposure of progesterone.
Post-departure Routine / Maintenance Routine
Continuation of medicine to boost immunity and to enhance metabolism was given for 6 months along with the special herbal tea and oil to use in case of cold/phlegm aggravation. Special personalized diet plan was given to continue together with the medicine. Workout sequence and a daily routine to continue for 6 months was given expecting to note down monthly feedbacks.
Summary of 6 Months Feedback
- Following the given diet, medicine and routine along with exercises.
- Weight loss continues slow and steady.
- Mind is clearer and energy is good.